Urbanity NEXT Residency
Urbanity Dance is seeking artists of all types to apply for the 2017-2018 Urbanity NEXT Residency. This residency runs from November to March, 2018 and gives artists the opportunity and resources to create and present new work right here in Boston. We are looking for two textured and engaging artists to create a work under 10 minutes, a new movement piece with Urbanity dancers that would be performed at Green Street Studios March 23rd-24th, 2018 and March 30th-31st, 2018.
Rehearsals will be scheduled based on the chosen choreographer's preference, but may fall within Urbanity's regular schedule: Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 12-2pm. There are several options within that timeframe: One option may be every Sunday until show, another possible option is a 2-3-week focused period, utilizing all four rehearsal options.
Benefits for the selected choreographers include providing dance space and dancers, working with dance and administrative professionals, photo/video to document your work, press/marketing opportunities, as well as possibilities to collaborate with the company in the future.
Urbanity is committed to providing the infrastructure and support you need to succeed. Choreographic mentorship is optional, but available. For an artist with no movement experience, the dancers are prepared to help translate your ideas into dance and movement. A choreographer with experience is available to assist you upon request. For the performance itself, Urbanity has a professional lighting designer, stage manager, and production team to help enhance your vision. Props, sets, and costumes are welcomed - Urbanity does have a costume closet with extensive costuming options, but not an additional budget for new sets and costumes.
Performance Space is the black-box theatre at Green Street Studios: http://www.greenstreetstudios.org/space-descriptions
For 2018, Urbanity is offering two residencies:
1) For an artist with prior choreographic experience.
2) For an artist coming from an alternative primary discipline. No dance or choreographic experience is required. We are looking for: teachers, scientists, poets, architects, musicians, fashionistas, contractors, health professionals, actors, visual artists, and more!
1) For an artist with prior choreographic experience:
- 1-2 previous works
- Description of proposed work - Consider: theme of piece, needed cast size, costumes, lighting, outside materials needed (projectors, set pieces etc.)
- Description of you and what your point of view will provide to dancers.
- What additional support, if any, do you see yourself needing to complete this experience?
2) For an artist without prior dance/movement/choreographic experience:
- Links to past work: image, text, video, audio recordings, design drafting's, etc.
- Description of proposed work - Consider: theme of piece and how it would relate to movement, cast size (1-8 dancers possible), costumes, and lighting ideas
- Description of you and what your point of view will provide to dancers. What outside materials or experience do you have that you could bring to this process?
- What support do you see yourself needing to complete this experience?
How do I apply?
Applications are due by October 16th, 2017 and applicants will be notified by November 1st, 2017:
Fill out application online here:
Please e-mail Cayley Christoforou at email@example.com with any questions.