Urban and World Dance Teaching Artist
Urbanity Dance is on a mission to engage, empower and inspire individuals and communities through the art of dance and movement. We are searching for a dance teacher to join our Urbanity Dance team who can be a role model for our next generation of dancers. This job is part time with the possibility of full-time work available as an instructor in our Urban and World Dance program. As an Urban and World Dance instructor, you will instruct a class based on traditional and popular dances from around the world in one of our partnering Boston Public Schools. We are looking for a person who is passionate about the power of dance and creating a friendly, passionate educational environment. So if you're excited about representing Urbanity Dance and delighting our students, come work with us!
- Instruct students in the public schools setting in a weekly class with the techniques and cultural background of the dance styles from places such as Central and South America, West Africa, India and the Caribbean along with urban dance styles such as Hip Hop
- Collaborate with support staff at partnering Boston Public Schools to ensure student learning and success.
- Choreograph a piece for students set in those styles
- Encourage students to connect other people’s experiences and cultures to their own and explore their own choreographic voice
- BA. or comparable dance/dance teaching experience
- 1-3 years of work experience teaching
- Reliable, adaptable and patient
- Effective interpersonal, communication, and education skills.
- Experience working with students of diverse cultural and language backgrounds
- 3+ years of relevant work experience, including teaching, dancing and choreographing
- Knowledgeable about cultural dances from places such as Central and South America, West Africa, India and the Caribbean
- Experience working with English Language Learners and students with special needs
Urbanity Dance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building a diverse, inclusive staff. We especially encourage applications from people of color, women, and members of the LGTBQIA community.
* Salary commensurate with experience*
If interested, please send in resume and cover letter to Director of Education Lea D’Arminio email@example.com
Job Type: Part-time, possibility of becoming Full-time