Managing Director – Urbanity Dance
Urbanity is currently seeking a full-time Managing Director to grow and support the organization in its next phase of growth. The Managing Director is the most senior position on the business side of Urbanity, working in partnership with the Executive Artistic Director, and reporting to the Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate would be a strong leader excited about building a dream team and have strong supervisory experience, preferably in an arts nonprofit. Connections to finance, business, or philanthropy communities in Boston a plus. This position will be a great fit for someone who is a positive, solution-oriented thinker. The candidate would be entrepreneurial and self-aware, understanding what personally keeps them charged and energized. The ideal candidate sees through a lens of possibility, is able to dream big, and is action-oriented to stay on track to accomplish goals thoughtfully, with attention to detail and efficient use of time and available resources. Our dream fit would be someone who is inherently on time, a system implementor, and believes in foster community, whether it’s through building an administrative team and office space, a dance school, or a neighborhood event. Serving as co-pilot with the Artistic Director towards the united goals of 1) crafting a sustainable staffing model, and 2) building capacity through fundraising.
Finance and Operations
- Craft and oversee budget for a mid-sized 501(c)(3) nonprofit. In conjunction with the Finance Officers of the Board, the Managing Director is responsible for the financial planning and well-being of the organization
- Responsible for audit, insurance, filings, and permits.
- In collaboration with the Board of Trustees and the Artistic Director, develop short and long-term goals for the organization.
- Implement Urbanity’s $170K development plan.
- Maintain an ambitious development calendar.
- Research and cultivate new funding prospects.
- Oversee donor database to track past funding and future funding opportunities.
- Develop a corporate sponsorship program.
- Work with Artistic Director to build relationships and write proposals/applications for foundations and grants.
- Lead the administrative arm of the organization, including onboarding, training, and overseeing the Marketing and Design Manager, Development Assistant, and School Operations Manager. Including weekly supervision and regular leadership team meetings.
- Overseeing Marketing and Development Plans and adjusting strategy according to evolving goals.
- Work closely with Urbanity Dance Company Operations Manager to ensure programming goals are supporting the budget and mission of the organization and strategic plan.
- Orchestrate organizational policies/procedures (staff handbook, student handbooks, contracts).
- Together with Artistic Director, act as chief advisors to the Board of Trustees and its committees, particularly Finance, Development, and Executive committees, serving in a way that helps facilitate the successful completion of Board goals.
- rovide Urbanity’s Board of Directors with regular reports on organizational progress.
- Manage employee benefits, employee handbook, onboarding process, and exit interviews.
- Serve as primary point of contact for human resources concerns.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred.|
- At least five years experience, preferably in non-profit management.
- Demonstrated fundraising experience.
- Strong computer skills. Excel, QuickBooks, Salesforce platforms a plus.
- Committed to Urbanity’s vision for diversity and inclusion in the workplace and community.
- Appreciation and/or connection to dance education.
- Excellent communication skills.
Urbanity Dance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building a diverse, inclusive staff. We especially encourage applications from people of color, women, and members of the LGTBQIA community.
To apply, please e-mail resume and cover letter to Betsi Graves at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 10, 2017. Early submissions encouraged.
Negotiable, with experience. $55-$60,000. Benefits include full medical and dental insurance, contributions towards phone and travel expenses, and continuing education opportunities.