Open Classes | Session Enroll | Descriptions | Prices | Balance | FAQ
Groove out to some good tunes and great vibes at Urbanity Dance! We pride ourselves on being a positive dance environment guaranteed to leave you sweaty and inspired.
Barre Core Fusion
Feel strong, flexible, energized and inspired. Barre Core Fusion is an Urbanity workout - for dancers and non-dancers alike - that blends Pilates, yoga and floor barre to tone, tighten and define your whole body. Barre Core Fusion is a fun and challenging workout for an inspired combination of strength, flexibility, and cardio. Sweat it out and feel amazing.
Contemporary Dance pushes boundaries of previously learned techniques and styles and will pull from a more "pedestrian", human, and creature-like vocabulary. The intention is to break down patterns and habitual movement qualities and find newness and awareness of where the body naturally goes and how it naturally moves. This class will examine an array of styles from Modern-Contemporary to Contempo-Pop with an exploration of musicality, movement style, dynamic shifts, space, time, spinal mobility, movement initiation, physicality, floor work- identifying correct pathways for moving in and out of the floor with alignment to help injury prevention, flying through space, exploratory games, and partnering work. The class begins with a full-body warm-up, then builds with across the floor progressions and a gooey inside-out combination, promising to leave you feeling good, head to toe. There will be strong association with the breath to keep calmer muscles when learning new and difficult information and to supplement the muscles when required to move with extreme physicality. Classes often include improvisation exercises. There is a place in this class for every curious dancer who is interested in creativity for dance making and dance understanding.
- Beginners or students coming back after a hiatus should enroll in the Intro program. The Intro course is a 10-week class, which builds with one teacher on a curriculum, vocabulary, technique and choreography. Some students continue to take the Intro course due to a preference for the consistent structure of this class.
- Intermediate/Advanced classes welcome a range of movers and ages, but we recommend that dancers have passed the Adult Beginner classes of Urbanity's Adult Dance Program.
Hip hop refers to street dance styles primarily performed to hip-hop music or that have evolved as part of hip-hop culture. It includes a wide range of styles primarily breaking, locking, free-styling, popping. Students may learn dance moves in popular culture, music videos, breakdancing work, and body isolations. All classes are conducted in a fun and friendly environment, students often don't notice how great of a cardio workout it is and how much they end up glistening by the end! :)
Improvisation is the much needed chance to let your hair down and explore new ways of moving, tuning into the body's natural ebb and flow. Exploring different concepts of spacial awareness, relationships with your own body internally, and with other bodies in space on an external level, how to give and receive weight with other bodies (and the floor!), and many other fun ideas to simply play with and have fun in a safe space. The class is designed for beginners to discover ways to enjoy improv and for more experienced people to have a class to further develop their sense movement. We will play with solo improvisational work, contact improvisation with partner(s), and group improvisation scores to bond as a growing community. Improv is a judgement free zone, designed to allow your body a freeing release from stress that you may build up during the week. BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE! You can use the tools learned here and apply them to our new monthly improvisation jams! Hyperlink pending!
Jazz is a dance form that appeals to everyone because of its energy, variety, and vitality. Jazz Dance classes explore contemporary and classic jazz dance, draw inspiration from a wide range of music including jazz, swing, blues, pop, soul and funk. Jazz classes begin with a warm-up to develop strength, flexibility, correct alignment and coordination, followed by progressions across the floor, and culminates in extended dance combinations. The movement explores a range of styles in both lyrical and percussive disciplines with a focus on jazz elements such as isolations, swing, and rhythm. The goal is to develop dancers who are expressive, dynamic, musical and passionate.
- Deep Relaxation Flow Yoga - Mondays are not really anyone's favorite day of the week (don't worry, you are not alone!). And we could all use a bit more yoga in our Monday-lives. Join us for Monday Night Deep Relaxation Yoga, and ease your way into the week with a slow-flow, breath-focused, chilled-out, lots-of-savasana class.
- Hatha Yoga - Each class involves isometric/resistance stretching to fully flex muscles, and movements which flow from one pose to the other. This class focuses on flexibility, alignment, breath, and building strength and balance. Re-align the body and focus the mind.
- Juicy Flow - Fast, Slow, Tough, Gentle; Fluid. A blend of Slow Flow, Vinyasa, and Restorative, enjoy the full range of movement and joy from your Yoga. Yoga is awareness, and we embody that in our asana with a sense of curiosity and play grounded in the principles of functional anatomy and traditional practice. Experience this soft intensity.
- Vinyasa Flow - This class is designed to take students of all levels and abilities through a series of flowing, alignment-based postures that will build strength, flexibility and focus. By linking each posture with purposeful breath, students will gain a deeper understanding of the mind and body connection, finding a deep feeling of relaxation and confidence.